Baking is one of the few things that can turn my stress and anxiety into something calm and focused, it makes me feel happy and at peace even if it’s just for an hour or two so I’m trying to make more time for baking recently. This is a recipe that I tried a while ago and loved so I thought I’d give it a go again since it was so much fun to make and everyone that tried these cupcakes really enjoyed them.
Time to prepare: 30 Minutes
Time to cook: 30 Minutes
- 250g butter, softened
- 400g caster sugar (separated into 250g and 150g)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g self raising flour
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- Cupcake cases
- Pre heat your oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases of your choice.
- In a mixing bowl, use a hand whisk to combine the eggs, butter, flour, 250g of sugar, the zest of 2 lemons and the juice of 1 lemon, make sure you don’t over-whisk!
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until you’ve used up all of the mixture. Pop them in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While they’re in the oven you can prepare the glaze. Just pour the juice of 2 lemons over 150g of caster sugar and add the zest of 1 lemon. Mix this together until evenly combined.
- When the cupcakes are done, leave them on a wire rack to cool before poking holes in them and gently pouring the glaze over the top.
Serve with: These are great on their own but if you want to add a little extra to it then pair it with a blueberry coulis, some raspberries on the side or even just a cup of coffee.
Please let me know what you think of this recipe if you do give it a go!